by Colan Nielsen
At our April LocalU occasion, I lined Shades Of Gray: Controversial Native search engine marketing Techniques that Drive Outcomes. I lined native search engine marketing techniques starting from key phrase stuffing to overview snippets within the natural search outcomes. One of many subjects I mentioned, which all the time attracts a variety of opinions, was the idea of making service space pages which have duplicate, or very related content material.
Duplicate, or related content material has all the time been a controversial subject. Google has confirmed on many events that duplicate content material just isn’t a detrimental rating issue. It’s understood that Google can filter duplicate content material from the search outcomes, nonetheless, now we have noticed that with regards to creating service space pages, they’ll rank and drive visitors and leads, even when the content material is duplicated or very related.
In my presentation, I used the instance of a service space enterprise that had 35 service space pages created over the course of some years. The content material throughout these pages matched 84% on common, in accordance with Siteliner.
Right here’s what Google has to say about duplicate content material in Google Search Central:
Duplicate content material on a website just isn’t grounds for motion on that website except it seems that the intent of the duplicate content material is to be misleading and manipulate search engine outcomes.
Did I point out duplicate content material is a sizzling subject?
If you happen to carry out a search on the Native Search Discussion board for duplicate content material, you’ll rapidly see that this has been a sizzling subject through the years. I might encourage you to go over there and test it out.
- “I don’t suppose utilizing related content material on completely different areas is a giant deal in any respect in case you’re not focusing on the identical geographic areas. In spite of everything, there’s solely a lot you are able to do to get “distinctive” content material about dental implants for all of the hundreds of dentists that exist within the nation.” (Pleasure Hawkins)
- “We’ve seen rivals who’ve supplied their shoppers with rather more thorough content material (3 to 4 occasions the phrase depend) however use the identical content material for dozens of dental workplaces.” (Creativedge)
- “We have now been slowly dropping in a few of our key cities and the one factor that I can suppose that may very well be hurting us is that every of these 500 cities have their very own touchdown web page the place the content material is the very same apart from altering town title and cellphone quantity all through the textual content. Might this be hurting my website?” (Hunter23)
How did the service space pages carry out?
Fairly darn good! In combination, the service space pages drive a number of visitors, and extra importantly, conversions.
What are the professionals and cons that now we have discovered with this tactic?
- Elevated visibility
- Extra visitors
- Extra leads
- Not all the time efficient in aggressive markets
So far as I’m involved, with regards to controversial techniques, akin to this one, you’ve two potential paths ahead.
- Do it your self
- Don’t do it and lose to your rivals
However please, don’t whine, and don’t be on the fence about them, and all the time bear in mind to look at what Google does, and never simply what they are saying.